This F&B Quiz Questions and Answers Blog will help you prepare for Job Interviews as a waiter! You will find here all the Job Interview Questions and Answers a manager could possibly ask you during the interview and the answers they will expect from you!
The Food and Beverage service quizzes are helpful to learn and improve your knowledge, generally, about and Hospitality Industry! Here we have wine quizzes, food quizzes, and F&B Service Procedures Quizzes!
Enjoy and learn! We post new F&B Quizzes regularly!
For limitless video tutorials about F&B visit and subscribe to the Waiter’s Academy YouTube Channel.
To become the best waiter in the business, check the Online Waiter Training Course!
F&B TEST: Food&Beverage Terminology Part One
WINE QUIZ 1
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Cahors – long before Argentina was even a country, in the Cahors region, in France, Malbec has been produced and distributed all over the world.
- To separate the sediment on the bottom of the bottle from the drinkable part of the wine. With time the color of the wine solidifies and deposits on the bottom of the bottle.
- Grand Cru is considered to be the highest designation for Vineyards in Burgundy
F&B Quiz 14
- Chablis is a white wine that is made of Chardonnay and produced in the Chablis region in the northwest corner of Burgundy, France. Chablis is usually very fresh, light and mineral.
- Old Fashioned – 1 1/2 oz Bourbon or Rye whiskey, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, 1 sugar cube, few dashes plain water
- Tortilla is a thin flatbread, typically made from corn or wheat
- Riesling is a white grape that originated in Germany’s Rhine region. It produces from very light, sweet, semi-sweet to full body and even-aged in oak dry white wines.
- How would you handle a guest complaint? Main steps:
- listen to the guest very carefully
- apologize for the situation and empathize with the guest
- offer multiple solutions to the problem and execute on the chosen one
- follow up on the steps taken and approximate timing
- thank the guest after successful solving of the problem
F&B Quiz 13
- Carignano (Italian of Carignan) is a redgrape varietyofSpanishorigin. Very popular in France, Algeria, Sardinia, etc.
- Soufflé is a French bake very carefully dish made of egg yolks and beaten egg whites. It could be sweet or salty
- Rioja – one of the most famous wine regions in Spain and the world! It is located south of Bilbao in Northern Spain. The famous Rioja red wines are made of only 5 grapes: Tempranillo, Garnacha Tinta, Graciano, Mazuelo and Maturana must be at least 90% of the grapes used in a bottle of red Rioja!
- The tart is a pastry-based dish with an open top that is usually filled with fruits. It could be sweet or salty
- Pâté is French for “Paste” it is basically grounded meat(mostly liver), seafood, poultry, or vegetables with seasoning served baked in a crust or molded as a terrine.
- Scallops are basically a type saltwater clams
F&B Quiz 12
- Chateauneuf du Pape – Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a famous French wine, an Appellation d’origine contrôlée located around the village of Châteauneuf-du-Pape in the Rhône wine region in southeastern France
- Mimosa cocktail is composed of champagne and chilled orange juice
- Linguine is a type of pasta similar to fettuccine but elliptical in section rather than flat. It is about 4 millimeters in width, which is wider than spaghetti but not as wide as fettuccine
- ANew Yorkstripsteakis a particularcutof sirloin. It’s usually a boneless section that’scutfrom the top sirloin, meaning it’s extra tender and tasty
- What will you bring to our company and our team? – The answerwilloutline your experience, qualifications, and accomplishments, and explain howyouplan to use them to help thiscompanymoving forward. Focus on specific scenarios whereyoushowed job skills and found success;
F&B Quiz 11 Answers
1. Barolo is a red, dry, DOCG wine in the Italian region Piedmont named after the town of Barolo! It is produced from 100% Nebbiolo grapes.
2. White Russian – Vodka, coffee liqueur (Kahlua), fresh cream
3. Italian dry-cured ham that is cut on very thin slices and served uncooked
4. Coq au Vin is a French dish of chicken braised with wine, lardons, mushrooms, and optionally garlic.
5. To answer this question you have to know very well what you have put in your CV as skills and abilities. You should use this opportunity to communicate your best traits to the interviewer in the form of third-person stories! What you have done for your colleagues and so on.
-This guy would have said that I am a hard-working person because of …
– This guy would have said that I am always ready to help
-that I am always trying to sell more chef’s specials than the others ….etc.
Tell a story for every example from the third person. Use examples from your recommendation letters if you have any!
F&B Quiz 10 Answers
- Crianza – Crianza is a characteristic of the wines in Spain which means that the wine is at least two years old and has been aged at least 6 months (in some regions 1 year) in Barrique
- Singapore Sling – gin, cherry-flavored brandy, triple sec, Benedictine, pineapple juice, lime juice, and grenadine
- Surf and Turf – Surf and turf or surf ‘n’ turf is a main course combining seafood and red meat. A typical seafood component would be lobster (either the lobster tail or a whole lobster), prawns, shrimp,, or scallops, any of which could be steamed, grilled or breaded and fried. The meat is typically beef steak, although others may be used
- Lasagna is food that has been baked in an oven and can be made with various combinations of ricotta or mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, meats (e.g., ground beef, pork or chicken), and vegetables (e.g., spinach, zucchini, olives, mushrooms), and the dish is typically flavored with wine, garlic, onion, and oregano
- Why did you leave your previous job –
You are looking for better career prospects, professional growth, and work opportunities. You want a change in career direction. You are looking for new challenges at work.
Never complain about your previous employer!
Don’t talk about wanting a bigger paycheck! Greed is not a plus!
F&B QUIZ 9 ANSWERS (for questions here)
For the Online Waiter Training Class click here!
- vegetables, fruits, meat and poultry, fish and seafood, dairy products, grains, nuts, beans, etc.
- orange juice, cereals, and stewed or fresh fruits. The heart of the full breakfast is bacon, eggs, and sausages. The dish is usually accompanied by grilled tomato, mushrooms, fried onions, toast, and marmalade. A cup of tea is a popular and traditional drink with breakfast, as is coffee.
- Rose wine is, in fact, made exclusively from the same blue grapes as the red wines are made of. The release of the pigments from the mash during red winemaking typically occurs over a few weeks and, if this process is interrupted after just a few hours, only a little coloring will have been released from the grape skins. The rose winemaker takes advantage of this and assumes total control over the color of the wine. Once the juice has taken on a slight red hue, it is pressed and transferred to another tank where it continues to ferment without the skins. It will eventually be bottled as rose wine.
- Aperol, Prosecco, Soda, Ice cubes, Orange slice
- The wine steward, trained and knowledgeable wine professional, normally working in fine restaurants, who specializes in all aspects of wine service as well as wine and food pairing.
F&B QUIZ 8 ANSWERS
- Scotch, Irish, Single Malt, Blend, Bourbon, and Rye
- Moussaka is an eggplant- (aubergine) or potato-based dish, or both, often includingground meat, in theLevant,Middle East, andBalkans. Many versions have a top layer made of milk-based sauce thickened with egg (custard) or flour (béchamel sauce)
- TheChablisregion is the northernmostwinedistrict of theBurgundyregion inFrance. The ChablisAppellation d’origine contrôléeis required to use Chardonnay grapes only.
- TheMai Taiis acocktailbased onrum with many different recipes 4 clwhite rum
2 cldark rum
1.5 cl orangecuraçao
1.5 clorgeat syrup
1 cl freshlime juice
- Avelouté sauce(French ) is one of the five “mother sauces” ofFrench cuisine. To make veloute sauce, first of all a roux is prepared. This is done by mixing together equal amounts of flour and butter to form a paste and then cooking the pasta for a few minutes until brown slightly in color. At this point a light stock is added, the mixture is whisked or stirred until a sauce forms and thickens. The stock used can be a chicken, veal or fish stock, one that is light in color.
F&B Quiz 7 Answers:
1. Pétrus is a Bordeaux, France, wine estate located in the Pomerol appellation. It produces a red wine entirely from Merlot grapes (since the end of 2010), and produces no second wine.
Pétrus is widely regarded as the outstanding wine of the appellation that ranks among the world’s most expensive wines. A 750ml bottle of Pétrus wine is priced at an average of $2,630
2. Manhattan Cocktail:
2 oz George Dickel rye whiskey
1 oz Sweet vermouth
3 dashes Angostura bitters
3. The Tomahawk Steak is an on-the-bone Rib Steak, cut from the Fore-rib with the entire rib bone left on the meat.
4. An authentic Russian Salad is a salad made with boiled potatoes, carrots, and eggs mixed with pickles and peas in a mayonnaise dressing.
5. Sequence of service on a table of five:
– five-year-old boy
– teenage daughter
F&B Quiz 5 Answers:
F&B Quiz 4 Answers:
1. Masseto is one of the most famous Super Tuscan wines, made entirely from Merlot.
2. Gin Fizz – gin, fresh lemon juice, sugar syrup, soda
3. Cordon bleu is a dish of meat wrapped around cheese (or with cheese filling), then breaded and pan-fried or deep-fried.
4. Guacamole – is an avocado-based dip, spread, or salad first developed by the Aztecs in present-day Mexico. It is traditionally made by mashing ripe avocados and sea salt with a molcajete tejolote (mortar and pestle)
5. HACCP Stands for Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point. HACCP is an internationallyrecognized system for reducing the risk of safety hazards in food.
– Conduct a Hazard Analysis
– Identify the Critical Control Points
– Establish a maximum or minimum limit for temperature, time, pH, salt level, chlorine level or another processing characteristic that will control the hazard
– Establish Critical Limits
– Establish Monitoring Procedures
– Establish Corrective Actions
– Establish Record Keeping Procedures
– Establish Verification Procedures
F&B Quiz 3 Answers:
1. Sancerre is a small wine district in central France, famous for its crisp, aromatic white wines made from Sauvignon Blanc.
2. Hugo is famous in Austria and Germany cocktail made with fresh mint, lime, elderflower cordial, Prosecco, and sparkling water!
3. Tagliatelle is a traditional type of pasta from the Emilia-Romagna and Marche regions of Italy. They are long, flat, and wide (up to 10mm)
4. Emmental (Emmentaler, Emmenthal, or often known as “Swiss cheese”) is a yellow, medium-hard Swiss cheese that originated in the area around Emmental, Canton Bern
5. This is not the arena for full disclosure. You want to stay positive and add a few specific statements or paraphrase. Something like “Peter always mentioned how reliable and hard working I was” or “Our backup waiters always say they want to work on my station so they can learn from me” and this is enough.
F&B Quiz 2 Answers:
1. Red, Italian wine from the Piedmont region.
2. Daiquiri – rum, lime juice, and sugar syrup
3. Focaccia is a flat oven-baked Italian bread product similar in style and texture to pizza dough
4. The rib eye or ribeye is a beef steak from the rib section. The rib section of beef spans from ribs six through twelve.
5. How do we answer the question: Why do you want to work for us? –
– Your answer should demonstrate your knowledge of the company and the skills, talents, experience, and strengths you have that are a match for their culture and the targeted position/department.
– Research and prepare yourself in those 4 key areas:
a) know yourself – what are you good at
b) know the company – what are they standing for (values)
c) know the job ( what does the job requires)
d) know the people that run the restaurant ( chef, manager, etc) – if possible
F&B Quiz 1 Answers:
1. Ossobuco or osso buco is a specialty of Lombard(Italy) cuisine of cross-cut veal shanks braised with vegetables, white wine, and broth.
2. Margarita – fresh lime juice, a combination of tequila and triple sec … and (optional) sugar syrup or agave to sweeten!
3. Bombay Sapphire is a brand of gin that was first launched in 1986
4. Hollandaise is one of the five mother sauces in French cuisine. It is an emulsion of egg yolk, melted butter, and lemon juice (or white wine or vinegar reduction). It is usually seasoned with salt, and either white pepper or cayenne pepper.
5. Give a little advance thought to this relationship. Every organization wants to grow better and this is done by hiring the right people. The best way to approach this question is to restate your strengths and emphasize the different ways they can be applied to the job being discussed!
– I believe every restaurant is looking for waiters who have the know-how and strive to make their guests happy so they turn into repeat guests! This is my biggest strength and this is how I can be really a vital part of your company going forward! I provide my guests on a daily basis not only with professionalism but as well with friendly and passionate service! I never leave guests unsatisfied and I leave a lasting impression on my guests so when they come back they really want to be served by me again and they expect the same amazing experience not only for them but also for the guests they often bring back to the restaurant! This is really what I bring to the table and I believe that will benefit your company not only because your guests will receive great service from me but because my coworkers see what I do and they follow my lead which brings the level of service even higher!
Food and Beverage knowledge is vital for everyone who wants to have a career in the Hospitality Industry. By posting those food and beverage questions and answers we hope many waiters will learn the answers to the job interview questions and will be able to get the job their dream of!
The Waiter’s Academy team wishes you the best of luck and we are always open for discussions or questions!